The members of Contra Costa Federal Credit Union have recently voted to change the Credit Union’s charter to include all individuals who live, work, or worship in Contra Costa, Alameda, and Solano Counties. Of the 14% of the Credit Union’s members eligible to vote, 83% voted in favor of the charter change. In order to attract and welcome new members into the expanded field of membership, we will be changing our name to 1st Northern California Credit Union, which will be shortened to 1st Nor Cal for marketing purposes.
My staff and I spoke to many members by phone, by e-mail, or in person and were impressed by the level of passion each of them had about how your credit union should operate. Of utmost importance to those members who actively participated in this historical change were the following:
- Your savings will continue to be federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration, a federal agency, up to $250,000 as it is currently.
- Our conversion to a California state charter will neither negatively affect your retirement nor increase your state tax liability.
- The minimum share balance will remain at $5.00.
- Our routing number and your account number will remain exactly the same.
- We do not anticipate monthly maintenance fees on your accounts.
- Your checks, debit cards, and credit cards with the Contra Costa name will be honored until they are reordered.
- There will be no changes to any direct deposit, electronic payments, or bill payments currently set up.
- The character and feel of the Credit Union will not change. Our #1 objective will continue to be giving you superior service at every touch point – in the branch, by phone, through the mail, or online.
I want to thank all of you who took the time to contact my staff and me with your questions and comments and for voting on this very important issue. Please contact me anytime with your thoughts.
David M. Green